Gumstix produces pre-built images for a number of different Linux distributions and build systems. These are intended for beginning users or those who want to get up and running with their system as quickly as possible.
Who Should Get an Image?
DuoVero™ Computer-on-Module and Pepper™ Single-Board Computer Users
Gumstix DuoVero COMs and Pepper SBCs do not have any onboard flash memory and therefore have no pre-installed operating system. All DuoVero and Pepper users need to get an image and flash it to a bootable microSD card.
Most Overo® and Verdex Pro™ Computers-on-Module Users
Gumstix Overo and Verdex Pro COMs with NAND flash come with the OpenEmbedded-built Ångström Linux distribution pre-installed on the flash memory as these images are currently the most tested and stable images for Gumstix Overo and Verdex Pro COMs. However, Ångström images are no longer in development, as Gumstix Software Development is currently transitioning from the classic OpenEmbedded build system to the Yocto Project build system.
While Ångström images produced by Gumstix are stable, they do not feature Linux kernel versions beyond 2.6, and thus do not offer any of the system performance gains offered by kernel versions 3.2 and higher. Gumstix produces other images can be tested without erasing the Ångström installation in NAND flash by booting them from a microSD card.
You should get an image and create a bootable microSD card if you want:
- To use a Ubuntu-based distribution or the APT package manager on your Gumstix Overo COM.
- To get up and running as quickly as possible with a recent Linux kernel featuring performance improvements and new features such as the systemd System Manager on your Gumstix Overo COM
- To use ROS (Robot Operating System) on your Gumstix Overo COM
- To use a desktop window manager such as XFCE on your Gumstix Overo or Verdex Pro COM
- To test out an image before writing it to NAND flash on your Gumstix Overo Air/AirSTORM, Earth/EarthSTORM, FE/IronSTORM, Fire/FireSTORM, Water/WaterSTORM COM
Getting an Image
Select your series of Gumstix COM below and to learn more about platforms available for your COM and where to get them.
The DuoVero Series of COMs currently supports the Yocto Project build system.
Steve Sakoman has developed images for the Gumstix DuoVero Series using the Yocto Project build system. These are currently the only complete images available for the DuoVero Series.
Please note: These images are Steve Sakoman's own development images, and are not developed by Gumstix. We cannot, therefore, guarantee their stability.Sakoman Images for Duovero
The only file you need to download from this link is the file mksdcard.sh.
The Overo series of COMs supports a variety of platforms and build systems. Pre-built images are available for the following platforms:
Users who want to run Ubuntu on their Gumstix system should select this option.
Linaro produces builds of Ubuntu and Android for ARM-based platforms. Currently, Linaro images are only available for the Linaro build of Ubuntu. This image also includes ROS, the Robot Operating System, and is ideal for robotics developers.
Once downloaded, you will need to extract the image from the archive by running the command
gunzip GumstixLinaroROS_<VERSION NUMBER>
where <VERSION NUMBER> is specified in the filename.
Gumstix' Software Development is currently transitioning from classic OpenEmbedded to the Yocto Project build system. Yocto Project images are still in development, but offer certain performance gains with Linux kernel 3.5. Users requiring a completely stable image should consider Ångström
Pre-built images created with the Yocto Project build system are available at Gumstix' Yocto Project Images.Gumstix Yocto Project Images Gumstix Yocto Project Build Details
Gumstix' Ångström images are currently the most tested and stable, but are no longer in development. Users who do not require features or functionality specific to Ångström, notably full OpenGL ES support, are encouraged to try a different image.
The latest Ångström image released by Gumstix can be found at Gumstix Resources.Latest Image
Pepper Single Board Computer
Verdex Pro Series
The Verdex Pro Series of COMs supports the classic OpenEmbedded build system and images for the Ångström distribution.
Images for the Verdex Pro Series can be downloaded from Gumstix Resources.
This directory contains a number of subdirectories:
- The U-Boot binaries are located in the subdirectory u-boot and are stored with filenames in the format u-boot-verdex-<CLOCK SPEED>-<REVISION>.bin. Download the appropriate one for your Verdex Pro COM.
- The rest of the needed files are stored in the current/<UCLIBC OR GLIBC>/images/gumstix-custom-verdex/ directory.
- Select an appropriate root filesystem image ending in .tar.gz (e.g., Angstrom-gumstix-x11-image-uclibc-ipk-2007.9-test-20080512-gumstix-custom-verdex.rootfs.tar.gz).
- You will also need to download the kernel image uImage-2.6.21-r1-gumstix-custom-verdex.bin.